John Piper’s 8 Eight Reasons You Should Memorize Scripture
2) Memorizing scripture strengthens my faith because faith comes from hearing and hearing by the Word of God and that happens when I am hearing the Word in my head.
3) Memorizing scripture shapes the way I view the world by conforming my mind to God’s view point on everything.
4) Memorizing scripture makes God’s Word readily accessible in over coming temptation to sin because God’s warning and promises are the way we conquer the deceitful lies of the devil.
5) Memorizing scripture guards my mind making it easier for me to detect error and the world is filled with error because the god of this world is a liar.
6) Memorizing scripture enables me to hit the devil in the face with a force he cannot resist, to protect myself and my family from his assaults. What are you hitting him with? He is millions of times stronger than you, and he hates you, and your family and your marriage and your church and God. How can anybody walk through this devil-ruled world, without a sword in his hand?
7) Memorizing scripture provides the strongest and sweetest words for ministering with others in need. Have you ever been caught off guard with somebody in need? You don’t need to be caught off guard.
8) Memorizing scripture provides the matrix for fellowship with Jesus because He talks to me through His Word, and nowhere else, but only through His Word, so sweetly, powerfully, authentically, really, speaks to me through His Word. And then I speak back to Him in prayer. And if His Holy Scripture is in my mind and head, we can talk anywhere.